Thursday 28 November 2013

Catching a fire



The first time a heard about The Hunger Games was by reading a blog about books imminently being turned into films. I have a huge soft spot for dystopian novels, and so this trilogy felt oh so appealing.

The beau and I were on a long weekend staying in a yurt in the Lake District when we nipped to a local town to visit the shops. There was a deal to buy all three books and so I greedily bought the lot and proceeded to spend the majority of the weekend tucked up in the yurt, with a wood burner firing and losing myself in the world of Katniss and Peeta.

Oh how I loved this series. Yes some of it is far fetched, but also for a young adult series, it felt very real and raw. I was engrossed.

Fast forward to the films. It's been awhile since I got so caught up in a film, i thought Jennifer Lawrence was a brilliant cast for Katniss. Less so for Gale and Peeta. But I stand corrected. I love the characters. I love how the story had been told. Who would think that a story about child torture and governmental oppression of the people would be so appealing.

In honesty the appeal in these books is the central love story and the belief in love conquering all.

What do I think of when I think back to these books? Low light, warm blankets and kisses with my beau in front of a fire. Perhaps these books are just personal nostalgia of my own private love story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind!